Date of birth: 27. July 1959
Affiliation: Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK), Potsdam Germany
Deputy Chair: Research Domain “Climate Impacts & Vulnerabilities”
Head: Research Area III1 “Climate Change & Sustainability”, University of Potsdam, Potsdam, Germany, Dept. Geo- and Environmental Sciences, Chair of Climate Change and Sustainable Development
Director/CEO Climate Media Factory (CMF), Potsdam, Germany
Professional Experience and Training:
Since 2010 Professor for Climate Change and Sustainability, Dept. of Earth & Environmental Sciences, University of Potsdam, Germany
2005-2009: Senior Scientist at PIK and Lecturer at Humboldt University of Berlin, Dept. of Geography
2001-2004: Senior scientist at Institute for Theoretical Physics, University of Giessen and Scientific staff to the Scientific Advisory Board on Global Change to the Federal Government, Berlin, Germany.
1998-2001: Postdoctoral fellow at Institute for Chemistry and Biology of the Environment, Mathematical Modeling Group, University of Oldenburg/Germany
1999: Dr. rer. nat. in Theoretical Physics, University of Potsdam/Germany
1993-1998: Research associate at Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Potsdam/ Germany
1986-1992: Studies in chemistry and physics, University of Oldenburg/Germany, M.Sc. in Physical Chemistry
1986 Evening Senior High School Diploma: `Abitur’ (Abendgymnasium Oldenburg)
1984-1989: Administrative Officer Purchasing & Accounting, University of Oldenburg/Germany
1980-1982 In-service training: Emergency Medical Technician, Fire Brigade Hannover/Germany
1976-1984: Police Officer/Operations Staff of Mobile Police, State Police of Lower Saxony.
Selected Honours, Awards, and Appointments
2014 Invited expert on a cabinet meeting of the Gov’t of the Republic of Kazakhstan for the launching of Kazakhstan’s green economy strategy
2013ff Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board of Climate Change and Development Research Centre COMSATS/Islamabad. Pakistan
2014-2016: Member of the Editorial Board of “Regional Environmental Change” journal (Springer)
2013 Appointed Academic Editor PLOS One journal (Public Library of Science)
2012-2014 Appointed Editor-in-Chief of the new journal “Challenges in Sustainability” (Librello)
2012: Clean Tech Media Award in 2012 for the foundation of the Climate Media Factory a joint spin-off of Potsdam Film University and Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research
2010: Offer for a full professorship at Griffith University/Brisbane and coincidentally Deputy Director of the National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility of Australia (declined)
2008-2010: Visiting Professor: Mahidol University, Bangkok/Thailand
2006: Amber Tree Award of the European Union INTERREG IIIB Program for implementing a visionary project bringing together scientists, planners and politicians
Selected Professional Services
2014/2015 Scientific Committee Member of the European Conference on Climate Adaptation 2015 conference Copenhagen/DK
2014/2015 Scientific Committee Member of GeoBerlin 2015 Conference, October 2015
2014 Plenary Key Note Lecture at Lanzhou University/China on a policy meeting “Revitalizing the Silk Road”
2013-2015 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the European FP7 BASE project
2013 Scientific Advisor of the European Union for the IPCC AR5 WGII/III second order draft evaluation
2014 Plenary Key Note on the occasion of a new agreement between Chinese and German Science Foundation at Xiamen University/China on “Climate Change and Sustainable Cities”
2013-2016 Project director of the FP7 project: Towards European Societal Sustainability (TESS)
2014 Plenary Keynote Lecture and panelist on invitation of Worldbank Meeting on Climate Change in Central Asia, Almaty: Communicating Climate Change
2014 Co-organizer of the first Conference on Monsoon Change over the Indian Subcontinent Islamabad/Pakistan
2013-2014 Platform Board Member of the European Union Climate-Knowledge, Innovation and Cooperation Network
2013 Plenary Key Note on Opening event of “Science Tunnel Exhibition” at Catholic University Peru/Lima on behalf of Federal Ministry for Education and Research Germany
2012-2017 Project director of the FP7 Project: Reconciling Adaptation, Mitigation and Sustainable Development for Cities (RAMSES)
2010-2014 Member of the Geo-governance Network Berlin/Potsdam (www.geogovernance.de)
2010 Honorable Member of the Concluding Panel summing up the results of Int. Conf. on Climate Change & Development at President’s Residency Islamabad/Pakistan, Panel Members: J. Kropp PIK, Environmental Minister Afridi, President Ali Asif Zardari, State Secretary Environment Malik, United Nations Country Director Tanaka.
2010 Scientific committee member “Climate 2008 and 2010” conference
2009-2014 Member of Steering Committee Potsdam Research Cluster on Georisk Analysis, Climate Change and Sustainability (Excellence Initiative)
2009/2010 Official side event organizer of PIK on the Climate Conferences COP15/Copenhagen COP16/Cancun
2008-2009 Scientific Advisor German Technical Cooperation (giz): Development of a „Climate Proofing Strategy“
2007/2008 Scientific Advisor Council of Europe: Climate Change: building adaptive capacity of local and regional authorities.
Peer reviewed publications
- Olonscheck M, Walther C, Lüdeke MKB, Kropp JP (2015): Feasibility of energy reduction targets under climate change: The case of the residential heating energy sector of the Netherlands. Energy, in press
- Prahl BF, Rybski D, Burghoff O, Kropp JP (2015): Comparison of storm damage functions and their performance. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 15, 769-788
- Pradhan P, Fischer G, van Velthuizen H, Reusser DE, Kropp JP (2015). Closing yield gaps: how sustainable can we be? PloSOne, 10(6): e0129487
- Tekken V. & Kropp JP (2015): Sustainable Water Management – Perspectives for Tourism Development in North-eastern Morocco. Tourism Management Perspectives, in press
- Lissner TK, Sullivan CA, Reusser DE, Kropp JP (2014): Determining regional limits and sectoral constraints for water use under climate change. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 11, 4695-4727.
- Pradhan P, Lüdeke MKB, Reusser DE, Kropp JP (2014): Food Self-Sufficiency across Scales: How Local Can We Go? Environ. Sci. Technol., 48, 9463-9470.
- Lissner TK, Reusser DE,·Lakes T,·Kropp JP (2014): A systematic approach to assess human wellbeing demonstrated for impacts of climate change. Change and Adaptation in Socio-Ecological Systems 1(1), 2300-3669.
- Lissner TK, Reusser DE, Schewe J, Lakes T, Kropp JP (2014): Climate impacts on human livelihoods: where uncertainty matters in projections of water availability, Earth System Dynamics, 5: 403-442.
- Pradhan P, Lüdeke MKB, Reusser DE, Kropp JP (2013): Embodied crop calories in animal products. Environmental Research Letters, 8, 044044.
- Zhou B, Rybski D, Kropp JP (2013): On the statistics of urban heat island intensity. Geophysical Research Letters, 40(20), 5486-5491.
- Klein DR, Olonscheck M, Walther C, Kropp JP (2013): Susceptibility of the European electricity sector to climate change. Energy, 59, 183-193
- Lutz R, Spies M, Reusser DE, Kropp JP, Rybski D (2013): Characterising the development of sectoral Gross Domestic Product composition. Physical Rev E, 88(1-1):012804
- Rybski D, Garcia Cantu Ros A, Kropp JP (2013): Distance-weighted city growth. Physical Rev E 86(4): 042114.
- Prajal P, Reusser D, Kropp JP (2013): Embodied greenhouse gas emissions in diets.PlosOne 8(5): e62228.
- Holsten A, Dominic AR, Costa L, Kropp JP (2013): Evaluation of the Performance of Meteorological Forest Fire Indices for German Federal States. Forest Ecology and Management 287: 123-131.
- Boettle M, Rybski D, Kropp JP (2013): How Changing Sea Level Extremes and Protection Measures Alter Coastal Flood Damages. Water Resources Research, 49(3): 1199-1210.
- Costa L & Kropp JP (2013): Linking operations and definitions of vulnerability: lessons from case studies in climate-change and risk-hazard context. Sustainability Science, 8(1): 1-9.
- Tekken V, Costa L, Kropp JP (2013): Increasing pressure, declining water and eroding coast in NE Morocco. Journal of Coastal Conservation, 17, 379-388.
- Kropp JP (2013): Sustainability: A Path-breaking Idea, but Still Associated with Huge Challenges (Editorial). Challenges in Sustainability, 1(1): 1-2.
- Prahl BF, Rybski D, Kropp JP, Burghoff O, Held H (2012): Applying Stochastic Small-Scale Damage Functions to German Winter Storms. Geophysical Research Letters, 39(6): L06806.
- Tekken V & Kropp JP (2012): Climate-Driven or Human-Induced: Indicating Severe Water Scarcity in the Moulouya River Basin (Morocco). Water, 4(4):959-982.
- Holsten A & Kropp JP (2012): An integrated and transferable climate change vulnerability assessment for regional application. Natural Hazards 64: 1977–1999.
- Lissner T, Holsten A, Walther C, Kropp JP (2012): Towards sectoral and standardised vulnerability assessments: the example of heatwave impacts on human health. Climatic Change 112: 687-708
- Costa L, Rybski D, Kropp JP (2011): A Human Development Framework for CO2 Reductions. PLoS ONE, 6(12): e29262.
- Olonscheck M, Holsten A, Kropp JP (2011): Heating and cooling energy demand and emissions of the German residential building stock under climate change. Energy Policy, 39(9): 4795-4806.
- Boettle M, Kropp JP, Reiber L, Roithmeier O, Rybski D, Walther C (2011): About the influence of elevation model quality on estimated flood damages: results from the Kalundberg case study. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 11, 3327-3334.
- Förster H, Sterzel T, Pape CA, Moneo-Lain M, Niemeyer I, Boer R, Kropp JP (2011): Sea-level rise in Indonesia: On adaptation priorities in the agricultural sector. Regional Environmental Change, 114: 893-904.
- Klaus M, Holsten A, Hostert P, Kropp JP (2011): An integrated methodology to assess windthrow impacts on forest stands under climate change. Forest Ecology and Management 261: 1799-1810.
- Rybski D, Holsten A, Kropp JP (2011): Towards a unified characterization of phenological phases: fluctuations and correlations with temperature. Physica A 390(4): 680-688.
- Rybski D, Rozenfeld HD, Kropp JP (2010): Quantifying long-range correlations in complex networks beyond nearest neighbors. Europhysics Letters 90: 28002.
B. Edited Books/Monographies
- Kropp JP & Schellnhuber HJ (eds.) (2011): In Extremis: Extremes, Trends, and Correlations in Hydrology and Climate.(ISBN 978-3-642-14862-0) Springer, New York. 358pp
C. Reviewed Book Chapters
- Kropp JP (2014): Accepting Climate Change Challenges: gambling with the future or path-finding for long-term sustainability? In: Nautiyal S, Rao KS, Kaechele H, Raju KV, Schaldach R (eds): Knowledge Systems of Societies for Adaptation and Mitigation of Impacts of Climate Change, Springer, Heidelberg.
- Boettle M, Rybski D,Kropp JP (2013): Adaptation to sea level rise: Calculating costs and benefits for the case study Kalundborg, Denmark, p. 25-34. In: Schmidt-Thomé, P, Klein J (2013): Climate change adaptation in practice:From strategy development to implementation, Wiley, Chichester.
- Holsten A, Walther C, Rothmeier O,Kropp JP (2013): Integrated Assessment of Vulnerability to Climate Change: The case study of North-Rhine Westphalia. In: Schmidt-Thomé P, Greiving S (2013): European climate vulnerabilities and adaptation: A spatial planning perspective, Wiley, Chichester.
- Walther C, Holsten A,Kropp JP (2013): Identifying a typology of climate change in Europe. In: In: Schmidt-Thomé P, Greiving S European climate vulnerabilities and adaptation: A spatial planning perspective, Wiley, Chichester.
- Rust HW, Kallache M, Schellnhuber HJ, Kropp JP (2011): Flood Level Confidence Intervals, Chapt. 3, p. 61-88. In: In Extremis: Disruptive Events, Trends, and Correlations in Hydrology and Climate Kropp/Schellnhuber (eds.). Springer, Heidelberg, Berlin, 380pp.
- Kropp JP, Walker G, Menoni S, Kallache M, Deeming H, de Roo A, Atun F, Kundak S (2011): Risk Futures in Europe. Chapt 5, p. 187-244. In: Inside Risk: A Strategy for Sustainable Risk Mitigation, Menoni/Margottini (eds.), Springer, Berlin, 364pp.
- Delmonaco G, Atun F, Ceudech A, Deeming H, de Roo A, Lumbroso D, Galderisi A, Kallache M, Kropp JP, Kundak S, Molinari D, Tweed F, Wade S, Walker G, Dandoulaki M, Barredo J (2011): Europe at Risk, Chapt. 2, p. 23-91. In: Inside Risk: A Strategy for Sustainable Risk Mitigation, Menoni/Margottini (eds.), Springer, Berlin, 364pp.
- Kallache M, Rust HW, Lange H, Kropp JP (2011): Extreme Value Analysis considering Trends. Chapt. 8, p. 167-183. In: In Extremis: Disruptive Events, Trends, and Correlations in Hydrology and Climate Kropp/Schellnhuber (eds.). Springer, Heidelberg, Berlin, 380pp.
- Galderisi A, Kropp JP, Ceudech A, Kallache M (2011): From Global to Local and From Local to Global: Examples of Event Scenarios. Chapt. 6, p. 245-286. In: Inside Risk: A Strategy for Sustainable Risk Mitigation, Menoni/Margottini (eds.), Springer, Berlin, 364pp.
- Menoni S, Margottini C, Galderisi A, Delmonaco G, Ferrara F, Kropp JP, Esteban JF, Lopez J, Pugliano A, Mejri O, Plebani P (2011): Shift in Thinking, Chapt. 7, p. 282-327 In: Inside Risk: A Strategy for Sustainable Risk Mitigation, Menoni/Margottini (eds.), Springer, Berlin, 364pp.
- Kropp JP (2010): Zukunft Klima – Welt im Wandel In: Zukunft Wasser. Brickwedde/Heidenreich/Jacob/Wachendörfer (eds.) Berlin, Schmidt, p. 13-20